SOCIAL MEDIA

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Book Review: Rhyme Stew by Roald Dahl

Title: Rhyme Stew
Author: Roald Dahl
Publisher: Puffin Books
Pages: 96
Format: E-book
Published: July, 2013
Price: Info not available (Amazon)
Rating: 3 / 5 stars

Date started: April 8, 2015 - Date finished: April 8, 2015

Synopsis:
An illustrated collection of fifteen parodies ranging from skewered nursery rhymes to epic slapstick sagas.
Review: 
I've never really enjoyed a book containing short stories but this one would probably be the one I like more than others. Rhyme Stew contains fifteen parodies of original short stories we know and love. This is my first book by Roald Dahl and I can say that it wasn't a disappointment. Mr. Dahl has such a wild imagination when it comes to his stories.

My favourite stories in this book were The Emperor's New Clothes, The Tortoise and the Hare, and The Dentist and the Crocodile. Although when you read The Emperor's New Clothes you'd probably feel that there was no significant difference between Dahl's version and the original story, I still really enjoyed it. The Tortoise and the Hare was by far my most favourite one, because in this story Mr. Dahl was able to transform the ending and the storyline of this story completely. It was like reading an original story. The Dentist and the Crocodile was just a funny story for me, I mean if I were in a situation where I was the dentist that checked the crocodile's teeth I'd be genuinely scared. 

I loved reading the rhymes of this book. It is fun, whimsical, and hilarious just a great reading experience. This book would probably be suitable for a storytelling to your children, nephews, and nieces. Overall, I like reading this book but I doubt I would be rereading this book anytime soon. I would most probably recommend this book to my younger nieces or nephews or read it to them.
So just remember if you can,
Don't tangle with a business man.
It doesn't matter who you choose,
They always win, we always lose.
So finally, like all great thinkers,
Who also happen to be stinkers,
He hit upon that ancient creed,
The changeless motto of his breed:
"Why not get someone else to do Your dangerous dirty work for you." 
This review is posted for the 13 Days Reading Children and Young Adult's Literature.

© books-over-all ©

No comments

Post a Comment