SOCIAL MEDIA

Saturday, April 16, 2016

Book Review: I Hate Myselfie: A Collection of Essays by Shane Dawson

Author: Shane Dawson
Publisher: Atria/Keywords Press
Pages: 241
Format: E-book
Published: March, 2016
Price: $9.04 -> Rp119.486 (Amazon)
Rating: 3 / 5 stars

Date started: March 18, 2016 - Date finished: March 21, 2016

Synopsis:
The book that more than 12 million YouTube subscribers have been waiting for! Shane Dawson’s memoir features twenty original essays—uncensored yet surprisingly sweet.

Shane Dawson has always been an open book. From his first YouTube vlog back in 2008, to his feature film debut "Not Cool," to a cover story in Variety magazine, Shane has documented his life pre-tty thoroughly. We’ve seen awkward and adorable Q&As with his mom, weight loss center drama, love life details, and the all-important haircut reveal. We’ve seen his hilarious spoofs of Miley Cyrus, Paris Hilton, and Sarah Palin. His music videos are awesome.

But in I Hate Myselfie, fans will finally get a chance to see the real Shane through personal stories that are at once humorous and heartwarming, self-deprecating and totally inspiring. Highlighting key moments of his childhood and adolescence, through his phenomenal success on YouTube, and continuing on to his more recent experiences as an actor and director, Shane’s memoir will feature the silliness and satire his fans already enjoy, but it will be even more in depth, more real, and more portable (it’s a book).
Review:
I only just found out about Shane Dawson last year and I really liked watching his videos. Albeit, his videos are mostly about him trying out foods and creating a new flavor of shake by combining a lot of sugary treats and the occasional ranting and cursing. Some people might be disturbed by this but I like his sense of humor, at times I found myself laughing out loud while watching some of his videos. Then I found out that he had written a book, a collection of essays about his life and I said to myself "his videos are hilarious, but is his writing just as funny?"

The answer is "well, he's not as funny as he is talking in front of a camera but some parts of this book are funny". That's what I felt when I finished this book. As you guys know, I don't read much non-fiction. As a matter of fact, this is the first non-fiction book I've finished in ages I was actually kind of surprised by myself. So, in I Hate Myselfie, Shane tells the readers his life story. There are many topics discussed in this book. There are issues on body shaming, about the start of Shane's YouTube career, how his acting gig started, etc. of course all of the stories are written in "Shane" style, which is sarcastic, witty and at times controversial but you can bet it's very straightforward.
“I just don’t have the willpower to hit up the gym every day for two hours, and the idea of cutting candy out of my diet seems impossible.”
The unique thing about this book is the artwork inside. The artwork inside are all fan art and each chapter has different fan arts before the start of the story, so it's really great seeing the fans of Shane. There are also hard hitting stories in this book but of course it's delivered in a funny way like Shane always does. Such as when he was accused of being a racist because one of his parody videos. If you want to get to know Shane Dawson more from let's just say how he started his YouTube channel, from his childhood to teenager and becoming a YouTube phenomenon than this book is for you.

I've never really reviewed a non-fiction book before, so I'm sorry if this review doesn't help much. If you're on the edge of wanting or not wanting to read this book. My suggestion would be that if you are only reading this because of its catchy title, or its cool cover and you don't know nothing about Shane Dawson than you shouldn't read this book because I'm sure you won't find as much enjoyment as someone reading this book who do know Shane Dawson.
“I know the old saying “Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.” Well, nothing tastes as good as being alive either.”
“The only person who had ever wanted to fuck me was a homeless lady who used to stand outside of Ralphs and tell me I had a “sad face that she wanted to sit on.”
I myself enjoyed my experience reading this book. As I am reading this book I can imagine myself witnessing the experiences that happened in Shane's life. Also, towards the middle part of the book I felt like this book would be great if I had listened to it in audiobook with Shane himself as the narrator, I think it would've made my reading experience a lot better. Besides that, the part I'm disappointed about in this book is it is not as funny as I had expected it would be. In my mind, since I've watched his videos it was almost always funny but in this book I find myself just smiling or cringing in a few different parts here and there and no part where I laughed out loud.

As I've said before, if you know Shane Dawson or you are a fan of him and wanted to get to know him a little more than I do believe this book is for you, but I must warn you, you might not find this book as funny as when he's talking in front of a camera to us in his YouTube videos.

That's all for now!

No comments

Post a Comment