SOCIAL MEDIA

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Book Review: Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1) by E.L. James

Author: E.L. James
Publisher: Arrow Books
Pages: 514
Format: Paperback
Published: April, 2012
Price: Rp 165.000 (Periplus)
Rating: 2½ / 5 stars

Date started: October 12, 2014 - Date finished: October 19, 2014

Synopsis:
Romantic, liberating and totally addictive, this is a novel that will obsess you, possess you, and stay with you forever.
When literature student Anastasia Steele interviews successful entrepreneur Christian Grey, she finds him very attractive and deeply intimidating. Convinced that their meeting went badly, she tries to put him out of her mind - until he turns up at the store where she works part-time, and invites her out.
Unworldly and innocent, Ana is shocked to find she wants this man. And, when he warns her to keep her distance, it only makes her want him more.
But Grey is tormented by inner demons, and consumed by the need to control. As they embark on a passionate love affair, Ana discovers more about her own desires, as well as the dark secrets Grey keeps hidden way from public view...
*This review is intended for readers above 18 years old, or in some cases 21 years old*
*also may contain spoiler, if not thank god. But if so I'm sorry"

Review:
Basically the story is a romance novel, a very very very adult romance novel. The novel revolves around the romantic relationship of the main characters, Christian Grey and Anastasia Steele. In this story Christian Grey is like a super-duper-filthy-has-more-money-than-you-can-imagine rich. And Anastasia on the other hand is just a recent college graduate who wants to make a mark in the publishing world of Seattle.
"I have been in danger ever since I met you, Mr. Grey, rules or no rules."
"Yes, you have." He pauses, and his brow furrows.
Ana met Christian when she was interviewing him for an article and from that moment, Ana was intrigued by the man and vice versa. They soon start to get closer to each other, but for Ana, Christian is a very mysterious man that has a lot of secrets and after knowing him better she knew (some) of those secrets. Will she want to stay with him?
How could he mean so much to me in such a short time? He's got right under my skin . . . literally. He smiles and his eyes light up.
I know that this book is very controversial and has a lot of mixed reviews on Goodreads. As far as I know many of those reviews are more on the bad side than the good side. I'm kinda have mixed feeling about this book as well, just not sure if i like it or hate it. Therefore I gave it a rating that's exactly in the middle of the rating scale.

Let's start with what bothers me about this book, definitely the characters. Christian Grey is this dark, mysterious, brooding, distant character with a complicated past. I just want to complain about the fact that I'm so over that type of too-cool-to-be-true kind of guy who is blessed with a good look and everything but acts like a freaking jerk I mean come on if you want to hold on to your girl, make an effort! (you'll understand what I'm saying if you read the book). Don't get me started on Ana, this "innocent' girl venturing into a new experience especially in the love department. This girl just cannot make up her mind. At first she's like I WANT YOU! and the next WHAT HAVE I DONE? THIS IS SO WRONG BUT SO GOOD. UGHHHH and I'm just like I know you want it just admit it and stop denying it!

[source]

Despite how I'm not a fan of the characters, the things that I like is that how smart these two characters are. I mean I am learning new words from this book it is just fantastic. Learning by reading? Sign me up! Other than that I like how they correspond to each other through their emails, some of those emails actually made me giggle and some emails made me smile because it is just simply romantic.
"I'm just trying to understand; you're such an enigma. Unlike anyone I've met before. I'm glad you're telling me what I want to know."
Overall, I'm not gonna say that I hate this book but I'm also not gonna say that I like it. This book was just a usual-gave-me-no-feeling read. But what I must say is that I completely support the ending of this book because if that ending didn't happen I don't think the rest of the series would be interesting because I didn't know how this kind of story can be developed further.

To all of you readers out there read this at your own heart's desire. What I'm telling you is that this book contains the "kinky" side of the adult intercourse (you know what I mean) so if you are under the age of 18 please do not read this book!


© books-over-all ©

No comments

Post a Comment