Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Movie Adaptation Review: Insurgent

Title: Insurgent
Directed by: Robert Schwentke
Screenplay by: Akiva Goldsman, Brian Duffield, and Mark Bomback
Genre: Adventure, Sci-Fi, Thriller
Released: March 20, 2015 (USA)
Duration: 119 minutes
Casts:
Shailene Woodley (Tris)
Theo James (Four)
Kate Winslet (Jeanine Matthews)
Ansel Elgort (Caleb)
Miles Teller (Peter)
Maggie Q (Tori)
Naomi Watts (Evelyn)
Jai Courtney (Eric)
Mekhi Phifer (Max)
Rating: 7.0 / 10 (IMDb)
One choice can transform you-or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves--and herself--while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love. Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable--and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships. Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.
So, I finally watched Insurgent with some of my friends on the first day of April. I gotta say I was a bit skeptical on how the movie was gonna go and didn't have any certain expectation of the movie. The Divergent Trilogy is one of my most loved dystopian book series and I want the movie to do the book justice. Then again after I watched the movie all I could say was "wow" it completely amazed me, the movie was so much better than the first and also so much better than other dystopian book to movie adaptations. Let me tell you guys how great this movie was!
So, okay a little summary of the movie. The movie continues off from the first one obviously. Tris, Four, Peter, Caleb, and Marcus escaped the evil clutches of Jeanine Matthews and seek shelter in the Amity faction. This so called "sanctuary" that they got from the Amity leader, Johanna didn't last long. When Peter and Tris had a fight, Johanna wanted to kick them out of Amity but before she could do that Jeanine's minions barged in looking for divergents.

Tris, Four, and Caleb were able to escape from them by riding a train. In that train they met the Factionless and of course had a fight over who should stay in the train and who should leave. After this Tris, Four, and Caleb were taken to the Factionless headquarters where they met the leader, Evelyn. Evelyn wants to take down Jeanine by combining the forces of Factionless and the remaining Dauntless.

On the other side, Jeanine in the Erudite headquarters has finally found the missing piece of data she's been looking for that is a box containing a message from "The Founder" but this box is tricky, only a true divergent could open this box because to open it he/she would have to go through all five simulations of each factions. Therefore her hunt for divergents began.

Find out more by watching the movie guys!!

the movie's character poster
So, let's get to the good part, which is my thoughts on the movie. Okay I wasn't exaggerating when I said that this was the best book to movie adaptation in terms of dystopian series turned to movies. This movie was amazeballs. It is action-packed, very fast-paced, and has awesomeness written all over it.


My favorite scenes from the movie:
  • The truth serum administered to Tris in Candor headquarters. This was a good one, when Tris was under the influence of the truth serum you actually feel the pain she's feeling because of resistance to the serum. Shailene's acting was great in this scene. Two thumbs up!!
  • The five faction simulation from the box. The simulations were so good, I truly cannot distinguish which was which. When Tris faced the Abnegation and Erudite simulation where she was saved by Four I really thought it was real. The effects of the simulations were also quite amazing and also Tris's action scenes. Did she really do it all by herself? If so, wow!
  • Tris, Four, and Caleb's runaway scene from the Amity compound. When Four crossed the railway when a moving train was coming. I was like almost screaming he wasn't gonna make it, but of course he did because he's Four. Enough said.
The other day before watching this movie I saw kak Ren's review of Insurgent and she said that Tris had become too bloodthirsty and I have to agree. She became much too aggressive but I understand why she became that way, she was just overflowed with guilt and she resorted to violence. In the end she became the Tris she used to be though, when she forgave herself. Also I don't really get how Naomi Watts got casted as Four's mother, because she just basically looks younger than Four, which is why nobody can really accept that she's Evelyn (or at least I didn't).

Some characters only went on for a few scenes and I felt I wanted to see more of them like Uriah and Christina. Uriah was like super badass and I like it but he was only on a few scenes of the movie and Christina didn't really talk all that much. But they'll get more scenes in Allegiant! I'll wait.


For me, the ending was quite satisfactory enough for me. The overall duration of the movie was sufficient enough for me not to say "what? that's it?" at the end of the movie. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. Overall, Insurgent was definitely better than Divergent, which was also quite good for me. If you guys are looking to watch a action-packed movie I really recommend you guys to check this out. I promise you it will not disappoint.

© books-over-all ©

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...