Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Movie Adaptation Review: The Hundred Foot Journey

Title: The Hundred Foot Journey
Directed by: Lasse Hallström
Screenplay by: Steven Knight
Genre: Comedy, Drama
Released: August 8, 2014
Duration: 122 minutes
Casts:
Helen Mirren (Madame Mallory)
Om Puri (Papa)
Manish Dayal (Hassan)
Charlotte Le Bon (Marguerite)
Amit Shah (Mansur)
Farzana Dua Elahe (Mahira)
Dillon Mitra (Mukhtar)
Aria Pandya (Aisha)
Rating: 7.3 / 10 (IMDb)
The Kadam family leaves India for France where they open a restaurant directly across the road from Madame Mallory's Michelin-starred eatery.
Hi friends! Glad I'm finally able to post something. So, some good news first! FINAL EXAMS are over, I am officially on holiday *happy dance* okay so, I wasn't able to post a book review since the book I'm reading isn't finished yet but I promise I'll post it soon. Anyways, I did watch this movie a while ago and build up the strength to write a review about it. I know you're probably thinking about how lazy I am. Nonetheless, Here it is!

First let me tell you a little bit about the story. So the story is about the Kadam family in India. This family is a family full of flavors and spices (like literally) because they're a family of cooks, loves to eat, and run restaurants. One day when there was an election win of some sort they had to cook the food and all of a sudden some protesters came, burned, and destroyed the place. The mother in the Kadam family died in that accident.

After that incident the Kadam family started moving from place to place to settle down. First they moved to London and lived near Heathrow but it didn't work out because they claim the vegetables there "had no life." So they moved again, now to Europe. Unfortunately while on the way their car crashed in a small town of St. Antonio just outside France and they were rescued by Marguerite. Papa Kadam while on his stay there saw a building that has a potential to be turned into a restaurant and their home. The children were a little skeptical because not far from that place, exactly 100 foot away is a french restaurant with one Michelin star owned by Madame Mallory.


Madame Mallory don't like competition. When the Kadam family's restaurant was about to open, Madame Mallory bought all of the ingredients needed by them to cook their meals for opening night. Thus, began the rivalry between Papa Kadam and Madame Mallory.

I just wanna say how glad I am to be able to watch such a wonderful movie! I mean I didn't know that this movie was adapted from a book but now that I know I will obviously read the book too someday. I must say I've seen this movie around but it didn't really caught my eye with the movie poster. But boy was I wrong.

I really love the food here. A note to people who want to watch this movie, don't watch it with an empty stomach because the food here looks delicious. I love the food cinematography here and all aspects of this movie containing food, which is the main focus of the movie. I also like seeing the rivalry between Papa Kadam and Madame Mallory, I mean they are worthy competitors for each other. What I liked about the rivalry between these characters is that although they are plotting for the other to go down they still draw a line with anarchy. I respect that a lot.

My favorite character would be Madame Mallory (played by Helen Mirren) ugh, how I love that she is very perfect to play this part. When you want to hate her you just hate her but you don't really hate her too much. But she can also be likeable you know? I just think that she played this part perfectly and that french accent though oooh laaa laaa. Even I want to have a french accent now.

My favorite scenes would be when Maison Mumbai, the Kadam family restaurant was opening Papa Kadam blasted indian music and made her daughter wear a sari to attract passerby. Also when Hassan Kadam went to France and worked in a kind of food-gastronomy restaurant. I love seeing how crazy gastronomical foods can be, I mean when I looked at some the foods displayed in this movie I'm just like "people eat those? how?" But my ultimate favorite scene would be when Hassan and Madame Mallory made an omelet together, the cooking process alone is enough to make you drool and when you watch Madame Mallory taste it you can feel that it is THAT delicious. 

Overall, I really enjoyed it and recommend that those of you who haven't seen it watch it soon! And for those of you who have, feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below! I would love to know whether or not you guys enjoyed it as much as I did. See ya on the next post! :)

© books-over-all ©

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...