Monday, February 9, 2015

Movie Adaptation Review: This Is Where I Leave You

Title: This Is Where I Leave You
Directed by: Shawn Levy
Screenplay by: Jonathan Tropper
Genre: Comedy, Drama
Released: September 19, 2014 (USA)
Duration: 103 minutes
Casts:
Jason Bateman (Judd Altman)
Tina Fey (Wendy Altman)
Jane Fonda (Hillary Altman)
Adam Driver (Phillip Altman)
Rose Byrne (Penny Moore)
Corey Stoll (Paul Altman)
Kathryn Hahn (Annie Altman)
Connie Britton (Tracy Sullivan)
Rating: 6.6 / 10 (IMDb)
When their father passes away, four grown siblings are forced to return to their childhood home and live under the same roof together for a week, along with their over-sharing mother and an assortment of spouses, exes and might-have-beens.
Finals have been crazy! But thank god for christmas holidays. In this post I'm going to review a movie I've watched last week before all the craziness of finals started, which was This Is Where I Leave You. Let's see my thoughts on this movie, shall we?

I actually have drafted this review since forever but forget to post them, hence the intro of me saying finals have been crazy. Well, now it's the start of yet another new semester of college and the time to publish this post because if I didn't post it, it will just sit on my draft posts collecting dust.

Enjoy my yet-another movie adaptation review!!

*hopefully this review doesn't contain any spoiler, please make sure you are above 18 before watching this movie
The story starts with Judd Altman entering his house to surprise his wife only to discover that his wife cheated on him with his own boss at work for a year and he didn't even notice. After that Judd broke up with his wife and couple of months later found out that his dad died. Before he dies his last with was for all of his children to come home and perform Shiva, which is a jewish mourning period where the family has to sit in chairs together for a week long.

So, every member of the Altman family goes back home and performs his dead father's wish. You might say that sitting together in chairs for a week is easy but not for this family because they always finds a way to bicker with each other. During the children's visit back to their childhood home, secrets are revealed. Each of them has their own problem in their life. Judd Altman refuses to tell his mom that his wife cheated on him and that he is unemployed. Wendy Altman always bicker with her husband and she secretly still loves her neighbor, which was her first love. Phillip Altman brought home a girl twice his age and claims to be already engaged. Paul Altman is having trouble conceiving a child with his wife.


Find out more by watching the movie, guys!

Ahh a drama movie about a dysfunctional family is just my cup of tea. Looking at many big names in Hollywood as the casts you know that this is an awesome movie. It has the right mixture of drama and comedy, some of the drama parts made me cry and most of the comedy parts succeeded in making me laugh.

You are immediately drawn to these characters and can't help but fall in love with them. I really like Wendy Altman, played by Tina Fey (I just LOOOVEEE Tina, she's just awesome). She's like super badass and yet super wise. She's like the one that bonds together all her other siblings and I just love that.


The romance between Judd Altman and Penny Moore was super sweet and super cute I can't help but smile watching them rekindle their relationship. My favorite scenes in this movie were:

  • When Wendy punched the guy Judd's ex-wife was cheating with in the hospital. SO BADASS.
  • The scenes when Wendy and Judd confided in their mother. It was very sweet and it kind of made me miss my mom since I always share everything with her and now distance separates us because I go to college far from her. Miss ya mom! *virtually hug my mom*
  • The ice skating rink scenes involving Penny and Judd. Those scenes are the sweetest.
  • And many more!!
You guys should watch this movie if you're a fan of drama that's not all drama. But be warned! This movie contains nudity contents. So, please make sure you're above 18 before watching this movie. That's all for now. I'll see you guys later on another post.

PS: I really need to read the book now after seeing the movie.


© books-over-all ©

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...