Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Movie Adaptation Review: Safe Haven

Title: Safe Haven
Directed by: Lasse Hallstrom
Screenplay by: Dana Stevens, Gage Lansky
Genre: Drama, Romance, Thriller
Released: February 14, 2013 (USA)
Duration: 115 minutes
Casts:
Julianne Hough (Katie)
Irene Ziegler (Mrs. Feldman)
Josh Duhamel (Alex)
David Lyons (Tierney)
Noah Lomax (Josh)
Mimi Kirkland (Lexie)
Jo (Cobie Smulders)
Rating: 6.7 / 10 (IMDb)
A young woman with a mysterious past lands in Southport, North Carolina where her bond with a widower forces her to confront the dark secret that haunts her.
Ah, since I have just re-watched this movie I might as well just make a review about it also. You know even as a guy I have a soft spot for dramatic movies that made you cry and movies adapted from Nicholas Sparks's books have always been such a good romantic story and can most definitely make you cry (or at least feel something) and this movie was no exception.

Let's see my review of this movie!
*hopefully this post doesn't have any spoilers*
I haven't read Safe Haven before or any of Nicholas Sparks's books. I've always only watched the movie adaptation and so far every movie adaptation of his books have always been easy to follow in terms of the storyline. So in this movie the story starts out with Katie panically running out of her house because she had just done something horrible (I won't tell you what it is) to her neighbor's house, which is Mrs. Feldman. After going to Mrs. Feldman's house Katie had to get out of town so that she wouldn't be found so she took a bus headed to Atlanta but in the middle of way there when the bus stopped for 15 minutes at Southport she decided to stay behind and start a new life there.

She got a job and found a place to live near the town. While buying for supplies she met Alex and his children Lexie and later on she met Josh too. Over time Alex started to have some feelings towards Katie and at first Katie was hesitant but she actually started to have some feelings for Alex as well. During her stay in Southport she also met Jo, Katie's neighbor who quickly became her friend and gave Katie advices on everything. Will Katie and Alex be in a healthy relationship when Katie has a "dark and unfinished" past?


I really liked this movie you guys! It is a LOT better than the previous movies I dunno why but I think it is. Since I haven't read the book yet I can't give you guys any book with movie comparison. There are a lot of favorites in this movie for me personally.

Starting from the characters I like the pairing of Julianne Hough and Josh Duhamel in this movie I think they're the perfect pair. My favorite character would be Lexie because she's just the cutest girl in the world seeing Lexie in this movie makes me want to have a kid just like her when I'm a father in the future. Tierney or Kevin, which is the bad guy in this movie is also another one my favorite characters in this movie because his acting in this movie can actually make me hate him as the antagonist.


Next are the scenes, there are a lot of scenes that I consider to be my favorite scenes and those are:
  • The scene where Lexie acts as the cashier of the store. Because it was just too cute!!
  • The scene at the dock where Katie was about to leave Southport and Alex just knew that he had to make a declaration of love for Katie because she's the one for him!
  • The letter scene where Alex gave Katie a letter (I'm only going to say this because revealing more would only spoil the story). It was just so sweet and when I was watching this movie for the first time it was my most shocking scene in this whole movie!
Overall, this movie was way better than the previous Nicholas Sparks's book to movie adaptations. For all of you who love romantic-drama story with a twist I recommend you guys to see this movie you might find yourself surprised by the story (but only if you haven't read the book yet).

© books-over-all ©

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...