Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Movie Adaptation Review: The Giver

Title: The Giver
Directed by: Phillip Noyce
Screenplay by: Michael Mitnick, Robert B. Weide
Genre: Drama, Sci-Fi
Released: August 15, 2014 (USA)
Duration: 97 minutes
Casts:
Jeff Bridges (The Giver)
Meryl Streep (Chief Elder)
Brenton Thwaites (Jonas)
Katie Holmes (Mother)
Odeya Rush (Fiona)
Alexander Skarsgard (Father)
Cameron Monaghan (Asher)
Taylor Swift (Rosemary)
Rating: 6.7 / 10 (IMDb)
In a seemingly perfect community, without war, pain, suffering, differences or choice, a young boy is chosen to learn from an elderly man about the true pain and pleasure of the "real" world.
Hi guys, and welcome to my first movie adaptation review! SO EXCITING right?? For my first movie adaptation review I will be reviewing The Giver, which I just watched recently. I really have high expectation of this movie because I wanted to see how the world is portrayed from the book to the big screen and also because I liked but didn't love the book so I'm hoping to love the movie!

Without further ado, here's my review!
*this review may contain spoilers*
(my book review)
"Beginnings: From disorder and chaos, from great suffering, great pain, from confusion and envy and hatred came a solution: communities." - Chief Elder
So the movie starts out with a narration from Jonas explaining about the communities. The rules, regulations that they learned as new children and then we see Asher, Fiona and Jonas strolling around in their bicycles talking about how they were gonna graduate soon and how they are all anxious and excited but also a little bit confused about it. At the graduation ceremony they were all supposed to be assigned a job in their community but Jonas didn't get assigned, he was selected to be the next Receiver of Memories. Basically the movie is about Jonas's experience in receiving those memories and found that not all memories should be kept hidden.


Of course the movie starts out as black & white and it goes like that for about 20 minutes-ish of the movie and it went on and progressed to color as Jonas received more and more of the memories. I must say I really liked how the color thingy progressed because I felt it was very natural and was on point.

I also really liked the memories Jonas received, it was memories of the world before the community. The memories were so diverse it was truly beautiful. One of the memories I remembered was when The Giver gave him memories of strength it was memories of people standing up for a cause they believe was right (some sort of protest) also memories of sports, and others. I for one would never imagined strength to be depicted as that.


I had learned that knowing of what something is it's not the same as knowing how something feel.
We all know that in a movie adaptation there are bound to be differences. Sometimes it doesn't affect how we feel about the movie but sometimes it does. This movie was no different, there are some differences that bothers me at the beginning but in the end I understood why it was done. One of them was the job assignment of Fiona and Asher, in the book Fiona was supposed to be assigned Caretaker of the Elderly (If I'm not mistaken) but she was assigned Nurturer in the movie. The same goes with Asher in the book he was assigned in the field of Recreation but in the movie he was assigned as a Drone Pilot. As the movie progressed I know why it was done (and I'm not going to tell you because it would be spoiler)
*and of course there are other differences, but I'm not going to tell you all of them*




In terms of characters, all of the characters I would say were perfect for the role. Meryl Streep as Chief Elder would be my most favorite one. For me she knows how to play those passive-agressive type of antagonist. What I'm disappointed about was that I didn't get to see more of Taylor Swift as Rosemary. She's just beautiful!!

While my favorite scene would be the graduation ceremony, even though it was black & white. I can feel the excitement in the room and I wanted to be there and just think that how the ceremony scene was portrayed exceeded my imagination.

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and felt it did justice to the book, because I can feel that all the important elements of the book were put into this movie very well.

© books-over-all ©

3 comments:

  1. Yess I also love the strength memories! It was just so beautiful :'))
    Glad you liked the movie as well! :DD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was! I liked it very much:D
      Thanks for stopping by, I've seen your review of the movie as well! A lot of cool pics:D

      Delete
  2. I really liked the movie. I have not read the book, but I still plan to. I think this will be a book I will read with my sons for our family reading project. I think it has an important message.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...